Podcast Essays on Classical Music

Subscribe to this podcast at http://feeds.feedburner.com/classicaltunes

Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I love to write, occasionally. I love to visit Starbucks, occasionally. Welcome to the mind meld of these two sources of outpouring : )

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Bach - Brandenburg Concerto #1

I know...it took way too long to make another podcast. Apologies! Life is busy. But a HUGE thank you to people who have posted comments and inspired me to keep creating - I am deeply touched by your responses and am very grateful for an appreciative audience.

So I made some time, and a paean to one of my favorite groups - Il Giardino Armonico. Listen and try not to cluck like a chicken when the last part comes around. No, I'm not nuts - just play it and you'll understand!

Music ©1997 by Teldec, Hamburg
Performed by Il Giardino Armonico, conducted by Giovanni Antonini

3 Comments:

Blogger Gatton said...

Cool another Podcast Essay! I like Il Giardino Armonico as well though I haven't heard their Brandenburgs. #1 isn't my favorite but I did enjoy you reminding me of that horn clucking part!

My current favorite Brandenburg recording is the Philips Duo cd with I Musici recorded in the 60s. Includes the A minor and E major violin concertos as well. Certainly not a HIP interpretation but sometimes you just want a clean "modern" sounding performance. Of course I have a DG recording of Karajan(!) doing them as well. Nice big string sound in #3 but otherwise not terribly interesting.

Sorry for the rambling! Listening to these gets me in the mood to talk. Thanks again for taking the time to do these. They really are a lot of fun.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Chet Deliverance said...

Oh hey there. First of all I'd like to say that I am appreciative of your efforts to give something to the music community, God knows it gives us: )
However, I would like to take this opportunity that--if taken the right way--will no doubt prove constructive. After all, you do want to become a radio announcer eventually right?
First off I'd like adress the recording quality of your podcast: no wants to listen to something that sounds like a fuzzy radio station. This is the internet, son, you can do better.
I am also concerned with the way you label your offering. You call your program "essays on classical music;" when I read "essay" I demand form--thesis statement...You went to high school didn't you?
Lastly, if you want to be taken seriously PLEASE don't belittle your audience by "double daring" them to make juvenile animal noises. Of course I appreciate observation that Bach's work no doubt was influenced by the rural environment of which he was so much a part of. But to be totally serial, you will drive other less playful listeners away.

6:21 PM  
Blogger dblteach said...

Maybe it is because I live in the UK, but I have your podcast in iTunes and I have tried the RSS feed here and none of the links to your podcast work for me.
Any ideas?

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home